New South Wales Floods 2021

Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment

The Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment (AGDRP) is a lump sum payment to help you if a declared disaster significantly affects you.

It’s not for minor damage or inconvenience. If you lost income as a direct result of the floods, you may also be eligible for either:

  • Disaster Recovery Allowance
  • New Zealand Disaster Recovery Allowance.

You can choose to get this payment in 2 instalments.

Who can get it?

You must meet eligibility rules to get the Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment.

To get it you must meet all of the following:

  • you’re an Australian resident or hold an eligible visa
  • you’re 16 years or older at the time of the flood or getting a social security payment
  • you meet Local Government Area (LGA) requirements
  • you haven’t already got an Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment for the New South Wales Floods, March 2021.

You also must have been adversely affected by the flood. For example:

  • you were seriously injured
  • you’re the immediate family member of an Australian citizen or resident who died or is missing
  • you’re the principal carer of a dependent child who’s experienced any of the above
  • the flood significantly damaged your principal place of residence.

Examples of significant damage to your principal place of residence can include:

  • its been destroyed or must be demolished
  • it’s been declared structurally unsound
  • the flood has caused major damage to the interior
  • the flood has exposed the interior to the elements
  • sewage has contaminated the interior
  • the flood has significantly damaged a major asset or assets you own at your property.

For this payment:

  • Your principal place of residence is the main place where you have a right or license to normally live. It doesn’t include holiday homes or investment properties.
  • A major asset is an asset or assets with a combined market value of $20,000 or more. For example, this can include buildings, vehicles, caravans, water tanks or large scale machinery.
  • You’re a principal carer of a child if the child is your dependent and hasn’t turned 16. The principal carer must have legal responsibility for the day-to-day care, welfare and development of the child.

If you’re a member of a couple, you can both claim this payment. You and your partner will need to make separate claims.

What areas does this apply to?

You have until 20 September 2021 to make a claim for the following Local Government Areas:

  • Armidale
  • Bellingen
  • Blacktown
  • Blue Mountains
  • Camden
  • Campbelltown
  • Canterbury Bankstown
  • Central Coast
  • Cessnock
  • Clarence Valley
  • Coffs Harbour
  • Cumberland
  • Dungog Shire
  • Fairfield
  • Hawkesbury
  • The Hills
  • Hornsby
  • Inner West
  • Kempsey
  • Ku-ring-gai
  • Lake Macquarie
  • Liverpool
  • Maitland
  • Mid-Coast
  • Nambucca
  • Newcastle
  • Northern Beaches
  • Parramatta
  • Penrith
  • Port Macquarie-Hastings
  • Port Stephens
  • Sutherland
  • Tenterfield
  • Wollondilly.

For more information, go to servicesaustralia.gov.au

March 2021



Step 1 of 2

  • Give us a compliment

  • Your suggestion


Step 1 of 2

  • Your complaint

Translate »