The guide to doing minor renovations in strata buildings and apartments in NSW
The relevant legislation for doing minor renovations in strata: Sections 109 & 110 of the Strata Schemes Management Act 2015 (NSW), and Clause 28 of the Strata Schemes Management Regulation 2016 (NSW).
WORKS DEEMED MINOR RENOVATIONS
- Renovating a kitchen
- Changing recessed light fittings
- Work involving reconfiguring walls
- Installing or replacing wiring or cabling or power or access points
- Installing or replacing wood or other hard floors
- Removal of carpet from floors
- Air conditioner condenser units (not on common property)
- a rainwater tank
- a clothesline
- reverse cycle split system air conditioner
- double or triple glazed windows
- a heat pump
- ceiling insulation
The by-laws for your scheme may prescribe additional work that is to be considered a minor renovation.
The owner must provide the following information for consideration:
- details of the work, including copies of any plans
- duration and times of the work
- details of the persons carrying out the work, including qualifications to carry out the work
- arrangements to manage any resulting rubbish or debris
AUTHORITY TO APPROVE
An owner is able to obtain approval by either:
- Ordinary resolution (majority vote) at a general meeting; or
- Resolution of the strata committee if the by-laws of the scheme permit this.
It is important to agree to the level of “details of the work” that can be applied in a consistent manner for all owners. Best practise guidance from your Strata Plus strata manager will assist with this and also provide possible after event considerations.
The owner must repair any damage to common property in a competent and proper manner.
WORKS THAT ARE NOT MINOR RENOVATIONS
- Cosmetic works
- Works requiring a common property by-law
- Works involving structural changes
- Works changing the external appearance of the lot, including access ramps
- Works involving waterproofing
WORKS CONSIDERED COSMETIC WORKS
The following works do not require approval from the owners corporation.
- Installing or replacing
- Hooks, nails, screws for hanging on the walls
- Built-in wardrobes
- Internal blinds and curtains
- Filling minor holes & cracks in internal walls
- Laying carpet
It is important to note that your existing by-laws will prevail for any items listed above.
If you have any questions, simply contact your Strata Plus strata manager.Read more
WHAT IS STRATA
LIVING IN STRATA
REPAIRS & MAINTENANCE
- Waverley Council – Building Futures
- Ku-ring-gai Council – Smart Units Rebates
- City of Sydney – Smart Green Apartments
- City of Sydney – Food Scraps Recycling Trial
- Lane Cove Council – Greener Apartments Program
- Canada Bay Council – Our Energy Future
- Randwick City Council – Community Sustainable
- North Sydney Council – Futureproofing Apartments
- City of Ryde – Home Waste and Sustainability Advisory Service