We’d like to help bring you peace of mind with some tips for staying safe and considering your neighbours, especially during the holiday seasons.
- Get to know your neighbours and watch out for each other. Be aware of any unusual people, vehicles and ‘tradespeople’ frequenting your property.
- If you’re having a party, let your neighbours know beforehand to expect some noise – better still invite them along! Remember to reduce noise and move indoors at 11 pm.
- If you have outdoor furniture on your balcony make sure you secure it if you expect wild and windy weather, and especially if you’re going away.
- Circulate a list of emergency numbers including police, tradesmen, electricity and water services, and CrimeStoppers (1800 333 000) and put these numbers in your mobile phone. Report a problem immediately to the police.
- Ensure there are locks on all of your doors and windows. If your residence is visible from the street, install a timer on your lights to make it look as if someone is home.
- Engrave your valuables with your car licence number. That way, your goods can be quickly traced back to you if they are stolen.
- Cancel newspaper subscriptions and arrange for someone to empty your letterbox or organise for Australia Post to hold your mail. Piles of mail and papers are a sure sign that the property is not occupied.
- When going overseas, register with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (www.smarttraveller.gov.au) before you travel. This helps people locate you in the event of an emergency.
- Make sure contractor’s phone numbers for security gates, garage doors, and lifts are clearly visible in case there is a problem with access.
- Let your strata manager know if your contact details change.
WHAT IS STRATA
LIVING IN STRATA
REPAIRS & MAINTENANCE
- Waverley Council – Building Futures
- Ku-ring-gai Council – Smart Units Rebates
- City of Sydney – Smart Green Apartments
- City of Sydney – Food Scraps Recycling Trial
- Lane Cove Council – Greener Apartments Program
- Canada Bay Council – Our Energy Future
- Randwick City Council – Community Sustainable
- North Sydney Council – Futureproofing Apartments
- City of Ryde – Home Waste and Sustainability Advisory Service